Tuesday, June 30, 2009

fancy soap

I always have really baroque dreams when I go back to sleep in the morning and push the snooze button several times. This morning's was pretty fragmented and included:
  • someone's Filipino cousin announcing that they were going to party all night in the living room of a very small apartment where I was staying with some other people*. This was troublesome for me because I was trying to finish a translation job (as I am in real life).
  • getting into my e-mail and finding a bunch of new things to translate and wondering how I was going to get it all done.
  • an obscure local holiday in a rural area, involving a very noisy parade down a country road. I don't know where it was supposed to be; it was a cross between Texas and a Balkan country. I had taken a giant SUV (or an old pickup, I think it morphed) for a little drive down the road, heard the approaching brass-band din and had to turn around quickly on what was really just a one-lane track in the weeds in order to get out of the way of the parade.
  • a visit to an old train station/swimming pool (?!). I wasn't there to swim; I don't know why I was there, but it was some kind of errand. i went into the bathroom, which was really neat because it was all fitted out with old wood fixtures--benches, shelves, bathtub surround. Because it was a swimming pool, regular swimmers there had left their soap to use after their swim. There were about 10 bars of soap on the wooden shelves by the bathtub, some of them as big as large bricks and elaborately carved with floral relief designs. They were really beautiful.


*Group trip--it goes without saying.

1 comment:

CëRïSë said...

"Baroque" is a great descriptor for this kind of dream!