Sunday, March 22, 2009

Car insurance on the island

JL was supposed to get me a pair of headphones, but he forgot. He told me how to get to the place that sells them - drive to the other side of the island to the end of the road. I also needed to mail something, so I was going to the post office as well. I got in the car and took the highway to the other side of the island. I saw a red sign for the east side of the island along the side of the road. The other side of the island was dark and deserted with very few cars on the road. It had snowed. I was going faster than I should have been going in the snow. I got to a roundabout, but the right side of the roundabout was blocked with an orange cone, so I went to the left. I took the turn too fast and lost control of the vehicle. I was flung out of the car and aw the car flip over and crash into a tree on the driver's side. I walked through the snow, picked up the car and turned it over to put it right side up. The drivers side door had a big dent in it, but the car was still driveable. I got in the car and drove to the next intersection, but was unsure which way to go to get to the post office. A woman driving by asks me something and I ask her how to get to the nearest post office. She told me to go back to the one in the city on the other side of the island. It was open later and had 20-30 people there. She said the one on this side of the island was probably closed. It seemed too far to drive back with a damaged car. I tell her about the accident and show her car. I become nervous because I do not remember if I purchased insurance. We walk back to the car and look for the printout from the rental place (Hertz). I find the receipt and see I have purchased insurance. - $68 a day for the car and $40 a day for insurance for a total of $131 a day for the rental. I am relieved.

No comments: