Monday, January 26, 2009

weird

I find it weird that I've had several high-self-esteem dreams lately. Hopefully it means that 2009 will be a good year.

This one was another variation on the school/group trip thing. I was on my way to a high-school reunion, although most of the people who were going to be there were not actually people I went to high school with. The setting was really futuristic, with lots of elevated highways and fly-overs, and I think that the vehicles navigating the highways were futuristic; the whole impression was like a tame, low-speed roller coaster. There were also some interesting landscapes in the distance, like something from one of those classic science fiction novels.

Anyway, I got to the initial meeting place for the reunion. I think we were supposed to meet there, have a party/reception, and then either go on a trip (of course--what else but a group trip?) or have a several-day stay at some sort of resort. Everyone there was quite posh, but I felt perfectly at ease and happy with myself. I was wearing a too-big, excessively high-waisted linen-ish wrinkled black pencil skirt with a tucked-in white blouse. Looking back, it wasn't a good look at all, but I was quite happy about it (I also felt very skinny, whether I actually was or not). I was happily mingling and had a brief exchange (about my clothes?) with Penelope Cruz. I sat down in a corner between some people, and a rather good-looking guy (dream person, not an actual classmate) commented that it was supposed to get cold later and offered to let me borrow his pants (!ha!). I looked at them and saw that, while they were perfectly nice pants and it was nice of him to offer, the black jeans* I had brought in my bag would be a better solution seeing as he was about 8 inches taller than me. So I thanked him and that was that. I think I continued to make small talk with him and the other people in the corner.

It was weird on several levels. Anyone who knows me in real life would know that I would have to be dragged kicking and screaming to a class reunion, and once there I probably wouldn't be swanning about cool as a cucumber. Another anomaly is that normally in clothes-related or packing-related dreams there's an element of desperate last-minute scrambling to create outfits out of bizarre and inappropriate clothing. Maybe my subconscious threw in the random celebrity so I wouldn't be too alarmed at the out-of-the-ordinariness.

*A pair of jeans I actually have, which is also weird because I don't normally dream about clothes I have, only very strange and incompatible dream-clothing.

1 comment: