Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Not Like Christmas

I got a call from D late one evening. She wanted to go to dinner or hangout. I had already eaten dinner, but told her I would keep her company while she ate. I could hear a man's voice in the background of the phone call, which I guessed was her new husband. He just got home. She asked him to take care of the kids while she went out. We were still on the phone decided where we wanted to go, whether we wanted to meet there or have only one person drive. I was in the car anyway, driving over to her house; I figured it was the half way point to anywhere we wanted to go. I told her I was on my way. She told me to go back home, she would pick me up since it was her idea to go out.

I got of the phone and took a quick left to see if I could turn around. I drove through a narrow driveway between two buildings and came upon an open field. You couldn't quite see this area from the street since the buildings shrouded it. In front of me I saw a very tall tree decorated with Christmas tree lights on one side - even though it was far from Christmas (felt like September/October). There were other trees in the clearing; they moved like people. I could tell I wasn't the only one looking at the trees. Other people were watching from the windows of the surrounding buildings. I got out of my car and took a few pictures with my cell phone of the trees standing around a campfire. Then I think they noticed me. I quickly snuck back into my car and closed the door quietly, though it didn't close all the way (open door symbol on the dash was lit). I saw a tree coming towards me, so I decided to slam the door and make a run for it. I drove very quickly down another alley between the buildings, making a right turn back on the street. I wanted to call someone and tell them what I had just seen, but decided I could only tell someone face to face.

2 comments:

strovska said...

trees standing around a campfire! that's a great mental image.

CëRïSë said...

I liked the trees, too, until they got scary! When Trees Attack. Yikes!